Small Game Birds
4 small game birds
2 slices dry firm bread
4 tablespoons butter
- Clean birds and set aside.
- Crumble bread into fine crumbs and cook in 2 tablespoons of the butter
for a minute or two.
- Add just enough broth to moisten the crumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff birds until plump, then close the cavities with small skewers or toothpicks.
- Truss legs and wings close to the bodies with string and place in shallow
- Add just enough boiling water to cover bottom of pan.
- Brush birds with remaining butter, melted, and bake in a 425° F oven for 30 minutes.
- Baste frequently with melted butter.