Two-Way Savory Deer Roast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 package onion soup mix
4 large potatoes, cut up
2 large onions, cut up
3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
Top of stove method:
- Place roast in dutch oven or large pan.
- sprinkle seasonings and dry onion soup mix over meat.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and boil until meat is very tender. This
may take up to two hours. Add more water if necessary.
- When your meat is done, remove it from pan.
- Cook potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in the broth until tender.
- Place roast in baking pan.
- Pour 1 cup water over roast.
- Sprinkle seasonings and onion soup mix over meat and in the water.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 300° F
until meat is very tender, checking every 45 minutes. This will take up to four hours, depending on the size of your
roast. The longer you bake it, the more tender it is.
- One hour before roast is done, place vegetables around the roast, re-cover,
return to oven, and bake until vegetables and meat are tender.