Chicken Stew with Parsley Dumplings
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced thinly
4 stalks celery, chopped
6 cups chicken broth
3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1½ cups self-rising
½ cup shortening
2 tablespoons parsley
½ cup chicken
- In a large saucepan with lid, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery.
- Cook and stir until carrots are tender.
- Add 6 cups broth, pepper and chicken; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes.
- In medium bowl, cut shortening into the flour.
- Add parsley and broth.
- Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering broth.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat 10 to 15 minutes until dumplings are