2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
⅔ cup milk
- Whisk dry ingredients together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in the shortening until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add milk and mix until dough just sticks together.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface about 10 strokes.
- Roll into a circle about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut biscuits and place on lightly greased or sprayed baking pan.
- Bake at 450° F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.